Last month Cee Cee’s Sven Hausherr invited us round for a Saturday morning cooking session in his MYKILOS-designed kitchen at his Berlin home. Sven decided to make one of his favourite weekend dishes, staggering fluffy ricotta pancakes, topped with pomegranate, hazelnuts and homemade maple-pear compote. And we certainly had the pleasure of devouring it!
Fluffy Ricotta Pancake
- Measurement cup
- 1 medium-ripe pear quartered, cored, and thinly sliced
- 120 ml water or 1/2 cup
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 2-3 cloves
- 1 pinch salt
Fluffy Ricotta pancake
- 1 small/medium egg separated
- 1 pinch salt
- 250 gr Ricotta cheese
- 500 ml milk or buttermilk or 1/2 carton
- 250 ml flour or 1 cup
Maple pear compote
- As an add on for the ricotta pancake you can first prepare a maple-pear compote. For the compote, add the pear slices, water, maple syrup, butter, cinnamon, clovers, and salt to a small pot over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil and cook uncovered until pears are tender and the liquid thickens, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
Fluffy ricotta pancake
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer until foamy. Add a pinch of salt, and beat further until stiff peaks form.
- Place ricotta cheese, egg yolks, and milk (or buttermilk) in a large bowl and mix. Gradually add flour into the mixture, making sure not to over-mix.
- Mix in 1/3 of the beaten egg whites into the batter with a rubber spatula. Gently fold in the rest of the egg whites a bit at a time, making sure not to lose the volume.
- Preheat a large skillet or a griddle over medium heat. Once hot, melt butter or vegetable oil and wipe off with a paper towel. Scoop approximately 1/4 cup of batter onto the griddle and cook until golden, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook until golden on the other side. Repeat with the rest of the batter.
- Melt a slice of butter on top of the hot ricotta pancake, garnish with several slices of the maple-pear compote, and sprinkle pomegranates, toasted walnuts, and thyme sprigs. Drizzle maple syrup all over and serve.
”To get the right fluffiness for the ricotta pancake, you should separately beatthe egg whites with an electric mixer until it turns foamy…”
ABOUT OUR GUEST
Sven Hausherr | Cee Cee Creative
Zurich-born Sven Hauserr is the co-founder of Cee Cee Creative – a creative agency focused on design, consulting, content and events. The agency’s ethos is devoted to producing and developing a cosmos of its own work; this in order to showcase its expertise across the board and form meaningful interactions between client projects and the wider Cee Cee Community.
In Spring 2011 Sven together with his business partner, Nina Trippel, former chief editor of DERZEIT, founded Cee Cee. It began just as the now well-loved newsletter, offering insider tips and recommendations for everything worth seeing in Berlin. With Sven’s graphic design background and Nina’s journalistic credentials in particular, the Cee Cee newsletter quickly gained followers. Eventually it developed into the dynamic, multi-disciplinary creative agency that it is today, valued by both its clients and followers.
Subscribe to Cee Cee’s weekly newsletter here for hand-selected recommendations in Berlin and beyond.