Just before lockdown life took over, we were treated to a hangout at our kitchen and a healthy Beetroot Hummus Crunch recipe with Baldon co-founders, Caecilia Baldszus & Jessica Joyce Sidon. They treated us to homemade hummus on fresh sourdough with sprouts, salad and onion topped with a sweet and salty lime leaf peanut crunch.
Beetroot Hummus Crunch
- 1 Beetroot
- 200 gr Chickpeas
- 1 Lemon
- 1 clove Garlic
- 50 ml Olive oil
- 50 gr Tahin
- 20 ml ice cold water
- ½ Onion
- 1 pinch Saffron
- 1 pinch Sugar
- 100 g raw peanuts
- 3-4 dried chillies (depending on spice level)
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 2 tbsp salt
- 3 Lime leaves
- 1 Lemon grass sticks
- 1 tbsp Pflanzliches Öl
- 3 brittle shoots
- A handful Lamb's lettuce
- Maldon sea salt
- Boil the beet with the skin in boiling water.
- Once soft, set aside the now red water and allow to cool. Peel the beet and cut into small pieces.
- Now peel the lemon and sprinkle the garlic clove with a pinch of salt, then mash with a fork.
- Verrühren, bis der Hummus eine cremige Konsistenz hat, dann abdecken und bei Raumtemperatur beiseite stellen.
- Mortar the saffron and sugar with a splash of water. If you do not have a pestle and mortar, you can use a spoon and a ceramic cup.
- In a small saucepan, cover the onion with water and add the saffron mixture.
- Auf kleiner Flamme köcheln lassen, bis die Zwiebel durchsichtig wird. Die Zwiebelblätter vorsichtig voneinander trennen.
- Break open the lemongrass and tap it with a firm object to release its aromas.
- Heat a pan with a little vegetable oil and slowly fry all the ingredients until caramelized.
- First remove the lemongrass and pull off some threads.
- Briefly mix with remaining ingredients to form a coarse paste.
- Blanch the Brussels sprouts in boiling salted water (about 3 minutes) so they are still firm.
- Cut the sprouts in half and fry them in a hot pan with butter or oil.
- Put the sprouts in a bowl with the lamb's lettuce and mix with a little salt and oil.
- Then fry the sourdough slice in butter.
- To serve, place a generous portion of hummus on the bread and top with the sprouts, onion leaves and lamb's lettuce.
- Now sprinkle a good portion of peanut crumble on top and enjoy.
-ABOUT OUR GUEST-
Baldon is a canteen, restaurant and bar located in a brutalist raw concrete building in the Wedding district, the Lobe Block/ Terrassenhaus. A creative hub with yoga studio and wild botany, Baldon is the resident restaurant that embodies the venue’s philosophy as a platform for creative experiences.
The changing lunch and dinner menu remains seasonal and supports small producers from all over, including farmers, fishermen, hunters and winegrowers. International chefs are often invited to present their cuisine.